2006-10-23

Money

I don't think I'm in it for the money.

It would, on the other hand, be nice to be able to afford to pay off my ginormous debt and buy a house, like a normal person.

So, I am working on my CaRMS, and it tells me what I will earn in various parts of the country as a first-year medical resident. This is salaried, for an 80-hour workweek, with moonlighting illegal here in QC, though not necessarily elsewhere.

And I was reading the papers, about the cols-bleus in TMR with a 36-hour week (paid hourly, with opportunity for overtime) demanding an 11% raise, and throwing a hairy fit when they were refused.

You know what? Even with no overtime, their gross salary is $5000-$12000 more than what I will earn, wherever I go. And, of course, if I was to stay here, once I finished my residency I would have to pay the government $300 000 to stay.

Remember that when you have to wait six months to get your gallbladder out.

No comments: